Wednesday, April 10, 2013

Purse Flex Frames, Kiss frames and Monkey frames

 Flex frame use them , like them, love them. For this crafter the verdict is still out.
 If your a crafter you have probably seen these little gems . They are flexible metal (kinda like what you find in slap bracelets) but have a pin or cotter joint pin as a post on the ends. You slide them into a sleeve and VIOLA! you have yourself a closeable pocket. They come in a wide selection of sizes or should I say lengths. I have been working with the smaller end, 3-4.5 inches in size.

Assorted Frames (B)
 Wow, that's the word, once encased into their sleeve and sewn into place, I can bearly open them. They are super strong. I made two coin purses from a re purposed needle felted clutch that I had made several years ago. My first thought was hmm.. I have put them in backwards. But if you really look at them ,there is only one way they can go and fit together nicely. I suppose, because they are so small, that whats makes them as strong as they are. If your point was NOT to lose your coins in the bottom of your purse. You will have a winner here.They are not impossible to get into, but watch your fingers as the re-snap is quick if you let go. pic.(D)


Flex frame coin purses (D)

This small purse will have a sewn on kiss frame. (C)

First try with sew on kiss frame (A)
The sewn in kiss frames are fairly easy to use. Draw around the frame to make pattern before you begin. I even found that as you get you purse made you may need to make adjustments as you start to sew it in place. Although not shown on piece below (C) I did use a simple over under running stitch , all the way to the end then back around to completely sew it in place. My first time doing it, it was really tight in in the opening joint see picture (A) I will probably take it out and remake the purse part of it.

 I was wondering why they call  monkey frames,, monkey frames. (assorted frame picture pic (B) in background) They don't look like a monkey. Something to ponder I guess. I purchased these from an Etsy shop that was going out of business.I have seen some really cute handbags made using them. Simple to do just create the bottom of your bag, make a  long small sleeve at the top, slip the unscrewed bar in and screw back together, 'interchangeable' perfect for the girl who can never have too many purse options.

Just one crafters view on trying to change things up and make some new and fun items for my Etsy shop and craft shows.   Enjoy! - TNfrmgrl